I have a deep love for sunsets, and I proudly consider myself a sunset enthusiast. The mood and sheer beauty of the picturesque scene during this time of day never fail to captivate me. I hold fond memories of my primary school days when my family couldn’t afford a CD player or an expensive radio. Instead, I had a secondhand cassette player given to me by my uncle. It was a simple device with a slot for cassette cartridges and basic controls such as volume, treble, bass, and radio frequency.
In 1987, when I was in Form 1, I managed to save some money to purchase a Richard Clayderman cassette. It cost me around MYR 5 or less than USD 1 in today’s currency. I can still vividly recall the songs I would play while watching the sunset, such as “Mariage d’amour” (“Marriage of Love”). This beautiful French solo piano piece, composed by Paul de Senneville in 1978, was first performed by the talented pianist Richard Clayderman and featured on his album Lettre À Ma Mère in 1979. Additionally, the timeless “Ballade Pour Adeline” holds a special place among the songs that accompanied my sunset viewing experiences.
In this article, I will be sharing some heartfelt stories and reflections centered around the enchanting moments of sunset.
I highly recommend beginning your journey into this article while indulging in the enchanting melodies of “Mariage d’amour” by Richard Clayderman or the serene notes of “Passacaglia” by Secret Garden. Let the harmonious tunes of these beautiful compositions accompany your reading experience and elevate the atmosphere of your exploration.
Sunsets possess a romantic and inspiring allure, and they are undeniably Instagram-worthy. However, it is a common misconception that we only reserve time for this magical experience while on vacation. I’m here to share a newsflash with you – you don’t need to be in an exotic location or have a free schedule to indulge in the calming, beautiful, and life-changing moments that a sunset offers.
The truth is, the sun rises and sets every single day, regardless of your whereabouts. Let me emphasize this point: Every. Single. Day. That means there’s no excuse not to carve out a few minutes to infuse your day with wonder and simply enjoy it.
Even as a Kampung Boy, I distinctly remember noticing that despite Perlis being the smallest state in Malaysia, the sunset, something intangible yet incredibly powerful, had the ability to captivate and bring out the best of this modest state. It served as a reminder to the people of just how beautiful life can be when we choose to truly see it.
If that isn’t reason enough, allow me to present five additional facts on why you should prioritize watching the sunset:
- It uplifts your mood: Research has shown that sunsets have various psychological effects that enhance long-lasting satisfaction in life and provide physical benefits, including stress relief. So, the next time you’re having a tough day, drive to your favorite spot and let your worries melt away as you witness the beauty of the setting sun.
- It encourages outdoor time: They don’t refer to it as the “magic hour” for no reason. Investing just a few minutes of your day to experience the breathtaking moments of a sunset is worth it, even if you have to return to your office afterwards. Nature is the ultimate soul fuel, and a brief period of fresh air, lasting anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes can leave you feeling refreshed and centered.
- It sparks inspiration: Sunsets have been a timeless source of inspiration for poets, writers, and romantics throughout history. The transcendent and spiritual nature of this experience can have a positive, healing, creative, and restorative effect when integrated into your daily or weekly life. Let the mystical colors of the sky inspire you to paint the most beautiful picture of your own life.
- It cultivates gratitude for the Earth: Beauty enriches our lives and makes them more rewarding. Watching the sunrise or sunset has been proven to instill a deeper sense of gratitude for our planet. When you become immersed in the natural beauty unfolding before your eyes, distractions fade away, and you experience heightened levels of satisfaction and gratitude for the wonders that surround you.
- It slows down time: Many would agree that the warm colors of sunset have the power to halt anyone in their tracks. Once you’ve captured your Instagram-worthy shot, give your undivided attention to the masterpiece being painted right before your eyes. When you allow yourself to be fully captivated by the awe-inspiring colors of the sky, you enter a state of being lost in the moment, effectively slowing down time. It becomes a form of meditation, enabling you to clear your mind of external distractions.
Personally, I’ve come to realize that whether knowingly or unknowingly, I always find time to capture a photo of the sunset. It could be while walking to my car, gazing out the window of my house, or intentionally driving to a spot where I can pause and savor the moment.
Therefore, I wanted to share some of the treasured snapshots from my collection with you. I remain in constant awe of the fact that no two sunsets are ever the same; each one possesses its own unique and remarkable qualities.
I always believe that sunsets are proof that no matter what happens, every day can end beautifully; and every sunset brings the promise of a new dawn so goes the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson. Just try to engage yourself in the sunset. Whenever I travel I always find ways to capture those magic moments. Mahatma Gandhi once said “When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.” Being a Muslim, sunsets make me feel I’m so small and so in need to be close to Allah and always be grateful for everything.
I choose to conclude this article while listening to the graceful piano rendition of “The Windmills of Your Mind” performed by George Davidson. The melodic notes of the piano offer a tranquil and contemplative atmosphere, bringing a harmonious closure to my reflections on sunsets.